[Building Sakai] Too many open files?

Kevin Chan kevin at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:26:05 PDT 2010

Hi Branden,

I ran into something similar with another Java/Tomcat application.

FYI, the "file-max" property is enforced on a kernel level, which is a
property set for the whole system.

What you are probably running into is the file open limit per user, so
you might want to look into the 'ulimit' command to adjust according to
what you need.

This is a setting that can be changed permanently on most *nix distros
via /etc/security/limits.conf

Here are some references that might be useful:

http://serverfault.com/questions/122679/how-do-ulimit-n-and-proc-sys-fs-file-max-differ

http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/42066-how-make-ulimit-change-permanent.html

Of course, the other question is why sakai-axis2 (or some other WAR file
deployment from your build) is causing so many files to be opened. I
have not seen this error in any Sakai 2.6 build and this is the first
from any Sakai build that I have seen come across this list.

Hope that helps,

   Kevin Chan

   Operations Team
   Educational Technology Services