[Building Sakai] Membership of copied site

Branden Visser branden at uwindsor.ca
Wed Sep 23 07:42:41 PDT 2009

Zhen Qian wrote:
> Branden:
>
> I agree. It is a kernel change.
>
> And I think ideally we should have different choices for copying sites,
> e.g. deep copy (exact duplication, including all attributes and
> properties, even bring over added site members) or customized copy (only
> basic site attributes, the tool list (with or without tool content), no
> provider ids, etc)
>
> Ideas?

I think more flexibility in automating how a user's site is created is a
great idea. We have a custom site request tool to handle the automation
of prepping sites for instructors, and our admin also performs quite a
few manual operations to ensure that prepping a site each semester is as
hands-off as possible for the instructor.

I don't think we've never seen a need to do anything along the lines of
what you describe as "deep copy". In addition to using "Duplicate Site"
in Site Info, we see a need for "Use a site as a template", which I
think you described as "customised copy".

Another idea we've been kicking around is "Tool Packages" (Kind of like
a static site template). Rather than providing users a list of site
templates to use, we would just have preset groups of tools that provide
certain classes of functionality (e.g., assessment, peer communication,
content-sharing...). They could pick several of them, depending on what
functionality they will be offering for the semester.