[Building Sakai] EmailService, SSL, TLS

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 14:41:53 PDT 2009

I wholeheartedly agree. One of our partner institutions uses Google
Mail's SMTP server, over TLS; that's why I wrote the patch. I've never
come across anybody encrypting email at the transport level before. I've
always used Enigmail when I've occasionally wanted to encrypt something.
As for SMTP authentication, again I've found that most institutions are
happy with locking their SMTP server down by firewall.

I don't expect the patch to get a lot of use either, but at least we can
say 'Sakai does secure mail' now :)

Cheers,

Adrian.

Carl F. Hall wrote:
> Changing smtpUseSSL to smtpUseTLS is the easiest way to resolve the current issue, but I think both options (SSL, TLS) should be in there to give better flexibility of the service.  SSL and TLS are off by default, so the probability of someone running into this issue is equal to the number of people that try to connect using SSL to their mail server which I think to be pretty low.

==================================
Adrian Fish
Software Engineer
Centre for e-Science