[Building Sakai] Moodle export/import suitability for Sakai 3

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 18 10:51:55 PDT 2009

I agree that IMS CC looks like the way to go for system-to-system
transfer of a course.

Lance's question was different though (if I understand correctly). He
was asking whether there is an existing format that would be good for
a system migration use case from Sakai 2 to Sakai 3. Whether IMS CC is
complete enough depends a lot on how much you expect to be preserved
in the transfer. With a custom development it intuitively seems likely
that we could preserve more than is possible in a standard designed to
permit transfer between different suppliers systems or distribution of
a publisher's idea of a complete course.

So far, I think it is looking like there would be no existing format
that could give a high fidelity transfer experience. If that is true,
the choice might be IMS CC for a basic transfer experience, a custom
solution, or an investment in a special profile of IMS CC.

My view on these options would be:
1. IMS CC - we will probably want it anyway for other use cases. IF it
is good enough, there is a lot to be gained from just using it.
2. May be quickest, depending on how useful IMS CC is as a starting
point
3. A special profile might be worth it if the work/learning made [1]
easier and if IMS CC is a good starting point

John