[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.6 Contrib Tool Migration

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Sep 16 00:57:53 PDT 2009

Unfortunately maven does not support profile chaining (that is, using
a profile to activate another profile).
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html
You might be able to do something creative but the only solution I
know of is to specifically indicate both profiles in the build
(-Pprof1,prof2) or to activate the profiles via an alternate method
like using a system property.

-AZ

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM, D. Stuart Freeman
<stuart.freeman at et.gatech.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to make blogwow build against 2.6 or 2.5 with minimal manual
> pom editing necessary.  I've done the "automatic method" at
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.6+Contrib+Tool+Migration+Tips
> and with a little modification got it working if I build from within the
> project directory.  However, if I try to build from a containing
> directory with blogwow defined as a module it doesn't pick up the
> profile.  This appears to be due to maven treating the file path in the
> profile activation as relative to where the mvn command is run rather
> than the location of the pom.
>
> That led me to switch the activation to use the sakai.kernel.version
> property, if it exists we activate the K1 profile, if not we use the
> pre-K1.  This seems to be working for pre-K1, but I need to do further
> testing to see that it works for K1.
>
> It brings up another problem though.  Blogwow has existing profiles,
> there's "full" that builds everything and is active by default, as well
> as others like "ddl" and "tool" that just build those modules.  When the
> pre-K1 profile gets activated the default full profile is deactivated,
> but that's not what I want.  I can't just add the modules to the new
> profiles as that would break the ability to build a subset of the
> modules (I'm not sure how important that is to people).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> --
> D. Stuart Freeman
> Georgia Institute of Technology

Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - University of Cambridge
https://twitter.com/azeckoski - http://www.linkedin.com/in/azeckoski
http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/ - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile