[Building Sakai] Base64 encoding/decoding, commons-codec 1.4, and K1

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:32:06 PDT 2009

Mark Norton wrote:

> This doesn't quite make sense to me, Seth.  Doesn't their
> existence encourage future dependencies? Is it just a matter of
> bundling it so that applications can use a single Base64
> encoding scheme, but the kernel doesn't actually use it?

Sorry for any confusion, please let me try to clarify: the
"Sakai" classes are still there in K1 TRUNK because we haven't
yet ripped them out of the Sakai 2.7/trunk code and replaced them
with the straight commons-codec ones. K1 itself uses only the
commons-codec classes (BasicAuth.java was the last remaining K1
code to use the "Sakai" ones).

There's an open proposal thread to kill off the remaining
dependencies on the "Sakai" Base64 classes in Sakai 2.7/trunk
code. If this is done, we will all be using the common-codec
scheme.

Seth