[Building Sakai] YAFT: Single User View & Gradebook Integration

Vivie Sinou sinou at etudes.org
Tue Sep 8 11:57:03 PDT 2009

>We have a number of clients that have issues with both
>Forums/Message Center and Discussion Forums/JForum because it
>is not easy to view all the posts/comments for a single user
>in one view for grading purposes.
>
>So two questions:
>
>1) Is there a view in YAFT or would one be easy to deliver
>where an instructor could view every contribution by a given user?
>
>2) Does YAFT have Gradebook integration? And if so, on what
>level can contributions be graded?
>
>Thanks for any information you can give!

Nate -

Perhaps you are looking for something different, but Jforum supports what
you are describing above (released in Jforum 2.5, a year ago).

In the forum grading view of Jforum, instructors CAN view all of the posts
(new topics and replies) of a user from one forum - all in one page, if the
forum is set to be a gradable forum (assign one grade for all the posts to a
forum - 1 grade goes to GB for the forum).

Or, if instructors are grading by-topic (meaning that each topic is set to
be a UNIQUE item in the gradebook), then in Jforum's grading view,
instructors can see all the replies of a user (all in one page) to the
topic.

In our next Jforum release, we'll introduce grade-by-category (an
organizational structure - holds a number of forums under it). With this new
feature, faculty will be able to see all posts of a user from ALL the forums
in a category (in one page, under grading), and assign one grade for all of
it.

A quick overview of Jforum's grading functionality as it relates to viewing
all contributions of a user can be found here:
http://etudes.org/release/discussion/2.5/index.html

Best,
Vivie

--