[Building Sakai] Base64 encoding/decoding and the org.sakaiproject.util.commonscodec package

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 3 07:14:40 PDT 2009

Matthew Buckett wrote:

> Although putting commons codec into shared might reduce
> memory usage a little and mean we don't have to update our
> copy at all it does introduce another dependency that all
> the tools have to coordinate on.
>
> I don't think they are re-implementations, but are just
> copies from an apache project with their package names
> changes to not conflict with the originals.

Our copies of these classes are old; in fact, they seem to
pre-date the 1.3 release made back in 2004. In addition, we
are not making updates to these classes based on bug fixes
such as CODEC-61, new method additions such as CODEC-59 or
CODEC-69, etc. from either 1.4 or the official 1.3 release.
This makes these classes fragile and out of date.

> Having the packaged renamed classes means tools can pull in
> whatever version they want and breaking api changes in
> commons-codec don't cause problems for us (unlikely I know).

Few if any tools are using these classes, and then only for
the most basic operations. People seem to be already
consciously using "official" commons-codec classes for BASE64
operations in lieu of the org.sakaiproject ones and are
therefore "exposed" to any (unlikely) API changes.

Seth