[Building Sakai] Base64 encoding/decoding and the org.sakaiproject.util.commonscodec package

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 2 01:46:42 PDT 2009

2009/9/1 Seth Theriault <slt at columbia.edu>:
> Noah Botimer wrote:
>
>> I also think our com.sun (Xerces) Base64 references are gone
>> now, but that's worth a check.
>
> It looks like these were all eliminated by the work done for:
>
> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-7408
>
> Josh Holtzman actually suggested using commons-codec, but we got
> reimplementation instead.

Although putting commons codec into shared might reduce memory usage a
little and mean we don't have to update our copy at all it does
introduce another dependency that all the tools have to coordinate on.

I don't think they are re-implementations, but are just copies from an
apache project with their package names changes to not conflict with
the originals.

Having the packaged renamed classes means tools can pull in whatever
version they want and breaking api changes in commons-codec don't
cause problems for us (unlikely I know).

--
  Matthew Buckett