[Building Sakai] Assignment+Gradebook integration: "Save" grade

Branden Visser branden at uwindsor.ca
Mon Oct 26 13:20:44 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

There is an anomaly in assignments where if you link an assignment to an
existing gradebook ("bi-directional"), you can't "Save" a grade that has
already been released.

Steps to reproduce:

1. create a gradebook entry
2. create an assignment
3. link the assignment to the gradebook entry
4. assign a student a grade and "Release" it

You'll see that the student grade will hold on the latest 'released'
grade that comes from gradebook.

The problem seems to be that Assignments tries to "remove" the Gradebook
grade through the integration API like unidirectional link does, but
fails. I'm thinking that if the assignment is linked bi-directionally, a
"Save" in assignments should update the gradebook entry so both
assignments and gradebook will take the new value, as opposed to none of
them.

I can provide a patch for this if this is the way we want to go.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Branden