[Building Sakai] Cafe trunk checkout is broken

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Oct 14 04:22:58 PDT 2009

There used to be stuff in site and sections which depended on the CM
api. That may no longer be the case in trunk but if it still is it
would be a little weird for the kernel to fail if "edu-services" is
not there.
Someone doing the refactoring may want to check on this.
-AZ

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> The CM API is now part of the edu-services bundle. However these new bundles
> come down from the repo at deploy time just like the kernel does, so aren't
> included in a source checkout, so you couldn't just add it as a module in
> the pom and build it.
>
> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to pull down only a small part out of
> these binary bundles? Or could we just list the inner dependency (ie cm-api
> vs the entire edu-services) and maven will figure it out?
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>

> On 14/10/2009, at 9:12 PM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>
>> I don't follow. The kernel should already be the smallest it is
>> possible to be. If it is possible to have a "cafe" kernel then
>> something is wrong.
>>
>> I wouldn't think there is a need for that. Just adjust the profile so
>> it only builds and deploys the CM api and it should be fine right?
>> It's not like the CM impl is part of the kernel (I hope).
>>
>> -AZ
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cool was thinking -
>>>
>>> We have a cafe profile in the kernel-deploy (and maybe others) That will
>>> deploy a couple of chery picked components from the bundles that are
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> What do you think?

>>> Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>>>
>>> Both sadly. It is one of those things I complained about when it went
>>> it but there was no time to really do much about it.
>>> However, ideally we should not force the impl on people who do not
>>> need any course management code.
>>> -AZ
>>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is the CM-api a runtime or compile time dependency?

>>> Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like things are getting out of sync with all the shifting
>>> around that is going on but we should deprecate cafe-trunk if the
>>> profile is being maintained. That said, they are not currently the
>>> same (cafe should only have the CM api in it and not all of CM) so
>>> some more work remains to be done here before that can happen.
>>> -AZ
>>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Steve Swinsburg
>>> <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> It looks like we are going to need to add core-deploy to the cafe POMs
>>> (ie in the cafe source and the build profile in trunk) and the
>>> cafe .externals otherwise it will be missing the archive-api
>>> altogether (which is part of common), and the cm-api (which is part of