[Building Sakai] Investigating site exports from Sakai 2

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Oct 11 23:24:48 PDT 2009

(not that my opinion matters but...)

I am generally opposed to the "manage by blockers" approach to getting
work done.  In particular, the archive work is not something that
*belongs* to anyone or any group - so marking it as a "blocker" is a
pretty empty statement and not likely to do anything but delay the
release.

In a sense, once 3.0 is real enough that schools are getting ready to
transition - those schools will logically flow resources to the "fix
whatever is wrong with archive"...

The other reality is that the problem with archive is often how well
tools support it - so that means a trip through the tools and we will
likely be fixing tools for which the original developers are no longer
available.  So it will be necessary to figure out just how much of the
archive we can afford / have a desire to fix.

So, in summary, to me it is silly to tie this to a particular 2.x
release - but instead to plan for this as 3.0 moves into a position
where it is running in pilot pre-production...

/Chuck (whose opinion does not matter)