[Building Sakai] Java 1.6 for Sakai 2.7

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Oct 8 12:52:25 PDT 2009

Aside from the build issues, Charles Hedrick mentioned in the release
meeting today that they were rolling back from java 1.6 to 1.5. It
would be worth knowing more about the issues that prompted that
decision as we were about to begin moving more toward 1.6 at Michigan
including qa and load testing.

Charles, I remember some of the Rutgers issues were local specific to
ldap and solaris (We use a custom provider with  linux). As well as
some related issues to longer garbage collection times depending on
the collector. It would be helpful to have jira's to track these, or
at least a short summary.

I know a number of tools are going to have the ClassNotFoundException
without "-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true" (as reported on
SAK-16744 for blogger and SAK-10716. It is also in a few contrib tools
that I've seen when running without). I'm not sure how quickly or high
priority those will be resolved, as we are still working with the
tomcat 5.5.27+ option workaround.

Was your sakai instance compiled under 1.6 and running with 1.6 JVM or
compiled with 1.5 under a 1.6 JVM? Presently all of our builds are
still compiling with 1.5 and we have been doing some testing under
light load with no obvious problems under a 1.6 JVM (with the above
mentioned option).

Thanks!

I can upgrade the QA6 to run under 1.6. It's kind of a random purpose QA anyway.