[Building Sakai] SAK-17135: core-deploy pom

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Thu Oct 8 01:04:26 PDT 2009

+1

2009/10/7 Anthony Whyte <arwhyte at umich.edu>

> I've written a pom I call core-deploy that I want to commit to the
> sakai/trunk project that meets two goals:
>
> 1) provides a single, aggregated mechanism for deploying non-kernel
> projects to Tomcat that are no longer part of the Sakai trunk build (e.g.,
> common, search, soon others)
> 2) provides a Maven "experimental" profile (-Pexperimental) that allows for
> additional capabilities to be added to a Sakai trunk build for
> experimental/evaluative purposes (e.g., messageforums, sitestats, soon
> others)
>
> I want to commit this wee beastie.
> POM DESIGN AND BASE POM PROFILE MODIFICATIONS
>
> See http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17135
>
> IMPLEMENTATION
>
> Implementing core-deploy involves:
>
> 1) adding core-deploy to sakai/trunk project
> 2) adding an "experimental" profile to the Sakai trunk base pom (see below,
> it is not an exact copy of "full", e.g., msgcntr is dropped as a module)
> 3) tweeking the Sakai trunk base pom "full" profile, adding
> <module>core-deploy</module> and removing common-deploy and search-deploy
> 4) deleting the redundant common-deploy and search-deploy poms in
> sakai/trunk.
>
> IMPACT ON TRUNK DEVELOPERS
>
> Minimal.  After I commit my changes (and alert you), perform a fresh
> checkout of trunk to pick up "core-deploy" and the base pom edits.  Delete
> org/sakaiproject/common-deploy and org/sakaiproject/search-deploy from your
> .m2 repo.
>
> I've tested both core-deploy profiles locally and it performs as expected;
> the full profile adds common and search to the deployment, while
> "experimental" adds common, messageforms, search and sitestats to the
> deployment.
>
> BACKGROUND
>
> Maven provides an assembly plugin that we use for project released
> independently of Sakai (such as the Kernel) in order to assemble and deploy
> binary archives to Tomcat. The resulting "tomcat-overlay" archive is mapped
> internally to the locations of Sakai artifacts in Tomcat (e.g., api and help
> jars in shared/lib, impl jars in /components, etc.). Sakai builds invoke the
> kernel's assembly plugin by including a "kernel-deploy" module in its build
> profiles. kernel-deploy adds a kernel-assembly dependency that handles the
> packaging of kernel artifacts and any required third-party dependencies for
> deployment to Tomcat. Creating such assemblies is a fairly straightforward
> process and one that can be replicated quite easily across projects.
>
> David Horwitz, Steve Swinsburg and I have been working on setting up a
> number of projects for independent releases (e.g., message-forums, search,
> sitestats) using the Maven release plugin as well as repackaging a number of
> related projects (e.g., gradebook, cm and sections services repackaged as
> edu-services). Part of this work involves the creation of assemblies and a
> [...]

Nuno Fernandes  [www.linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo]
Analyst/Programmer - UFP-UV  [Universidade Virtual]
Software Developer - Sakai Foundation  [sakaiproject.org]
Sakai Fellow 2008 - Sakai Foundation  [
confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/FIF9AQ]

Universidade Fernando Pessoa  [www.ufp.pt]
Praça 9 de Abril, 349
4249-004 Porto
tel: + 351 22 507 13 00