[Building Sakai] Experience with Oracle RAC

Jon Gorrono jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 7 18:41:22 PDT 2009

Here is a collection of pages I could find about our performance
testing with RAC. I said 'cool-headed' but I didn't mean to imply well
organized.

In order to help makes some sense out of the order and some
fuzziness....we first noticed performance issue with the RAC in FALL
2007 and investigated this into the first half of the first quarter of
2008 IIRC..

meeting notes in which it is mentioned that adjusting oracle query
cost estimator index parameter seemed to have no effect :
https://confluence.ucdavis.edu/confluence/display/UCDSAKAI/Sakai+Hardware+meeting+Sept+19%2C+2007

Some load testing with Sylk Perfromer in which (from standup meeting
notes) 'Initial (jan 2008) load test results suggest that two RAC
nodes are slower than one':

https://confluence.ucdavis.edu/confluence/display/UCDSAKAI/RAC+Load+Test+Plan

Some 'notes from the field' ... the tone even suggests they were
written under fire.
https://confluence.ucdavis.edu/confluence/display/UCDSAKAI/Conversation+with+Drew+Zhu+Feb142008
(note:IIRC, I think we determined that turning off ASM with RAC was
not possible.)

We eventually (feb 2008) decided that we could use a single node RAC
... it tested well and we deployed it to our production environment
only to have it fail immediately. The failure manifested after 3 or 4
nodes were up... our test environment is only two nodes.. We rolled
back to the non-RAC config during that same maintenance window... here
is a note from the front lines:

'We attempted to move the SmartSite databases to the Oracle RAC again
this morning but it
appeared that we encountered an unexplained caching problem which led
to slow performance.
As a result we backed out again to the non RAC environment so the
system is running the
same as it was previously."