[Building Sakai] Experience with Oracle RAC

Jon Gorrono jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 7 16:30:41 PDT 2009

Did you say Oracle RAC? Slowly I turned... step by step....
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQii1L8fGk)

We have some cool headed doc's about our experiences with rac in out
confluence, which I can dig out if you would like the details.

In contrast I can give you a sense of our experience with RAC: it was
not good. There were to issues that bubbled to the top of the heap and
lingered long enough for us to decide to give ip on the RAC

1). a) the RAC insists on managing segment fragmentation and b) it sux at it
 - we would setup our tables views and mviews and a bunch of nicely
performing indexes and the RAC would split up the table and index
segments until the performance tanked. And we coul dnot turn it off
even though it appeared that we had declaratively
2) There was a lot of speculation that the number of small tables used
in sakai for simple low data lookups would harm performance in a RAC
environment due to the added overhead for synch'ing those tables over
the RAC private network... but we never tested this: #1 killed the
project.