[Building Sakai] Continuum, Hudson, Bamboo or some other ci server app

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Thu Oct 1 08:54:13 PDT 2009

Anthony Whyte wrote:
> I'd like to implement a continuous integration server in order to
> perform automated builds, releases, etc..  I am interested in opinions
> relative to the strength and weaknesses of Continuum, Hudson, Bamboo,
> CruiseControl and any others the community may have experience in
> using.  One important selection criterion would be to choose a system
> that has a user base in the Sakai Community so that a pool of
> experienced admins could be drawn on for advice, etc.  UCT has a
> Continuum server running while Oxford, I believe, uses Hudson.
>
> Suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I would highly advocate using an open source package.  I haven't tried
Cruise Control, but I like Hudson way way more than continuum.  It seems
to have a nice ( or at least usable ) plugin architecture as it has all
sorts of stuff like parsing findbugs results and firing build results to
Twitter and whatnot.  It seems very polished and active.

When I was at PyCon 2009 even a number of folks there said you might as
well use Hudson rather than one of the Python based ones, which says a lot.

Continuously built cheers,
steve