[Building Sakai] Gradebook2 and Sakai 2.6.x

Kevin Chan kevin at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 19 16:24:51 PST 2009

Hi James,

Thanks for the notes. With the exception of using the 1.1.x-dev branch
instead of 1.1.x-test, I had followed the instructions very closely
(there was a part of a patch to Assignments.java that failed (easily
merged) and some "alter table" SQL that were unnecessary as the added
columns are already in our 2.6.x DB) and had gotten errors as I
described previously.

I rebuilt GB2 today with a clean copy of data from our production DB and
got the same results.

If I try to view GB2, I get:

org.sakaiproject.portal.api.PortalHandlerException:
org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ToolException: Request processing failed;
nested exception is
org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessResourceUsageException: could
not execute query; nested exception is
org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not execute query
     at
org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.SkinnableCharonPortal.doGet(SkinnableCharonPortal.java:769)
caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00904:
"GRADEBOOK0_"."DO_SHOW_ITEM_STATS": invalid identifier
--end of snippet

I am not familiar with any table called "GRADEBOOK0", all Gradebook
tables begin with "GB_".

If I try to view Gradebook, I get:

org.sakaiproject.portal.api.PortalHandlerException:
org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ToolException: Cannot get value for expression
'#{bean.pageName ne 'gradebookSetup' && bean.userAbleToEditAssessments}'
     at
org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.SkinnableCharonPortal.doGet(SkinnableCharonPortal.java:769)

caused by: org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ToolException: Cannot get value for
expression '#{bean.pageName ne 'gradebookSetup' &&
bean.userAbleToEditAssessments}'
--end of snippet

Let me know if I should open a Jira ticket or if it is something that I
overlooked. Also, do you know if rSmart built GB2/2.6.x with the default
Sakai modules (like portal, we have a slightly customized version of
portal so maybe that is the problem) or if there were heavy
changes/other modules needed to make it work?

Thanks,

   Kevin Chan

   Operations Team
   Educational Technology Services