[Building Sakai] Site Management Patch

Zhen Qian zqian at umich.edu
Tue May 26 07:36:37 PDT 2009

Adrian and Steve:

We didn't use the site property approach. We assume those sites with
"site.template" in its id to be template sites. The performance
problem was due to the process of getting all sites and filter out
those with "site.template" inside site ids. I am not sure about the
performance nowadays for searching site list based on a site
property, though.

Other difference between SAK-12868 and SAK-16419 are: In SAK-12868,
template are grouped by site types. If user selects "use template",
he can late change site information, but not the tool list. The site
members are not copied, but the tool contents are. The target site id
is not settable, either.

I think setting template site during run time is a desired feature.
It is also good to give user more options like whether copy members/
contents over or not.  We will need to do performance testing first.
We might also need to work on the UI a little bit - the site creation
wizard already has a lot of steps!

Thanks,

- Zhen