[Building Sakai] Site Management Patch

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue May 26 05:45:18 PDT 2009

I did have a look at that patch and was put off by the fact that the
template ids are read from sakai.properties - it will be a real pain to
have to schedule downtimes just to pick up a new template site id. This
way seems more  dynamic; tag a site as a 'template' and it's picked up
straight away. If there is a 2 minute delay due to db lookups with 10K
of sites then that is a bummer, admittedly.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Steve Swinsburg wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> we needed a way to configure this at runtime from any site that we
> much the same way as the copySite webservice works.
>
> Having to have a certain siteid such as what SAK-12868 does is a
> little cumbersome, especially if the site is well established and you
> want to copy content as you can't change the siteId afterwards. Our
> patch allows any site to be marked as a template.
>
> It might be useful to join forces here, using our property method and
> the EntityTransferrer method to transfer content if desired.
>

> cheers,
> Steve
>
> ---
> Steve Swinsburg
> Portal Systems Developer
> Centre for e-Science
> Lancaster University
> Lancaster
> LA1 4YT
>
> email: s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk <mailto:s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk>
> phone: +44 (0) 1524 594870
>

> On 26 May 2009, at 12:28, John Leasia wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrian,
>> also see SAK-12868 which added a template capability.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Adrian Fish wrote:
>>> If anybody's interested I've added a feature request and patch for the
>>> site-manage tool to JIRA. It allows you to mark any site as a template
>>> and then create sites from those templates via the site-manage tool.
>>> It'll make my life as a Sakai admin easier, it might do the same for you ...
>>>
>>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-16419
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Adrian.

Adrian Fish