[Building Sakai] Deploying Sakai on a virtual host with other active apps?

Alan Hoyle alanh at email.unc.edu
Thu May 21 13:19:22 PDT 2009

Hey all,

I'm trying to deploy a 2.6.x dev environment onto a virtual host that
has other active apps on it.  This is dev, so I'm not really worried
about horsepower.

The IP address of this box has two DNS aliases.  For example, let's
say they are ourdevbox.example.com and sakaidevbox.example.com

Other apps are being served by an Apache 2.0.x running on port 80.
(i.e. http://ourdevbox.example.com/some/path)
Sakai itself has a dedicated Tomcat and is running fine on the 8080
port (i.e. http://ourdevbox.example.com:8080/portal brings up Sakai)

I want to configure the Apache so that if someone tries to visit
http://sakaidevbox.example.com/ Apache serves as a proxy and forwards
to the 8080.  However, if someone comes to
http://ourdevbox.example.com/ it stays with the Apache and serves up
the other applications.

Would adding something like this to the httpd.conf work?

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName sakaidevbox.example.com
  ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/
</VirtualHost>

Would it be possible to do the same thing with SSL as well by adding:

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName sakaidevbox.example.com
  ProxyPass / http://localhost:8443/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8443/