[Building Sakai] Few questions about Sakai realms

Am Khan akhan at acoe.org
Thu May 21 11:03:46 PDT 2009

Hi,

We are excited about using Sakai and I am trying to move forward by upgrading to 2.6.x, setting up appropriate roles and templates, and integrating our instance with LDAP.  I am little confused about the Sakai Realms and I would appreciate if anyone can point me to some documentation.

Here are a few things confusing me about Sakai Realms:

 1.  !goup.template.course and !goup.template.portfolio realms (How are these realms used?)
 2.  .anon and .auth for user user relams (I am guessing .auth for authentication, what is .anon?)
 3.  maintain role for !user.template.maintain (maintain role for !user.template.maintain is maintain  !#@$?)
 4.  !pubview, !site.template, !site.helper (How are these realms used?)

I also have a few more questions:

 1.  Currently our Sakai instance (Sakai 2.4) is not integrated with LDAP and I have to remove about 150 users.  Can I just delete them from Sakai_user and Skai_user_id_map tables?
 2.  What are the implications of setting up a course site; is there any automatic change to the site after the academic term passes?

Thanks and regards
Am Khan