[Building Sakai] What are your group and role integration needs?

Ray Davis ray at media.berkeley.edu
Mon May 11 11:46:15 PDT 2009

A couple of years ago, a Sakai team asked the community for help
understanding your institutional structures as they might ideally be
known to your LMS/CLE. That effort led to an abstraction of "course
management" data which was more practically useful than those that had
preceded it. But our ability to use this new model in an optimal way
from Sakai applications was hobbled by lack of dedicated personnel and
by the need to preserve legacy approaches to site management and
permission handling.

This year, the time seems right to finally take on the issues of
federated authorization:

* IMS is about to bring out their Learning Information Services proposal
<http://www.imsglobal.org/enterprise.cfm>, which I expect will meet all
the use cases met by the Sakai CM API in a way that attracts the
attention of developers from outside the Sakai community. For example,
the attention of...

* Oracle, who has an early implementation built on PeopleSoft:
http://www.oracle.com/applications/peoplesoft/campus_solutions/ent/module/student-administration-integration-pack.html

* Which is turn is being used by Unicon as a new integration point for
Sakai:
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/IMSES/Sakora+Project+Update

* But also being used by Moodlerooms as a new integration point for
Moodle:
http://mfeldstein.com/moodlerooms-doing-great-standards-based-integration-work/

* Meanwhile, many schools are looking for secure ways to cut maintenance
costs by going through external hosting solutions like Google Apps:
http://www.google.com/educators/p_apps.html

* And meanwhile, many schools are looking for new ways to let their
LMS/CLE mash up external Web 2.0 applications or take advantage of cloud
services.

* And meanwhile, Internet2 has started a working group to understand
access management needs across a wide range of software products and
services: http://middleware.internet2.edu/paccman/

* While Internet2's COmanage project continues to try to share
authorization data more efficiently across applications:
http://middleware.internet2.edu/co/

* And then there are these efforts called "Sakai 3" and "K2" which you
may have heard something about...

So I'm sending this to ask you to start thinking and talking about how
you'd ideally like to see groups, roles, and permissions handled in your
college's or university's open source collaborative framework --
particularly when it comes to merging "inside the application" views
(like "assign authorship of this research paper to this particular
subset of site members") with "outside the application" views (like
"Philosophy majors" or "my Facebook friends").

We don't yet have a specific Sakai mailing list, wiki space, or Google
Group for this work, but I'll keep track of discussions until we find
the proper spot. Unfortunately, for the next couple of weeks I'll have
only part-time network access. However, starting at the end of May I
should be able to convey more Sakai use cases to the MACE-paccman group,
and in June I'll be attending the Educause CAMP summit on Identity
Services: <http://net.educause.edu/CAMP093>.

Thanks in advance for your help and (continued) patience,
Ray