[Building Sakai] FCKeditor / Firefox spell checking

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri May 8 12:21:02 PDT 2009

Jon and John,

Our testing of the integrated Firefox spell checker was mildly
quirky. The squiggly underlining worked pretty well, but the
different FF/FCK context menus required a key-click combo to get to
one or the other. Also, the ABC button is flaky (only works once
sometimes). I haven't made a hard conclusion, but I'm looking for
alternatives.

We're looking into the "WSC" mode, which integrates with
spellchecker.net. It has a few subtleties still, so the short answer
is that I don't have a comprehensive solution in hand at present. I
have not looked into the aspell variety for some of the reasons
mentioned here.

As far as applying config params and stylesheets to the editor, I
definitely have experience there. It works quite well but I haven't
made a stylesheet to match the basic Sakai styling. We have
concentrated on portfolio work [1], where we have some additional
flexibility for controlling the JS without making system-wide/macro
changes. The crux is getting a CustomConfig specified, where you get
to control most things. The docs for the params [2] are decent.

With all of this, FCKeditor 2.6.x is generally more polished. We're
running it in a Sakai 2.5.x build now without hassle. See SAK-15994
for more info.

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/VoBFAQ
[2] http://docs.fckeditor.net/FCKeditor_2.x/Developers_Guide/
Configuration/Configuration_Options