[Building Sakai] can one join a site by visiting the site instead of using the membership tool

David Haines dlhaines at umich.edu
Wed May 6 12:39:58 PDT 2009

Our version of autojoin is different than the Cambridge
implementation.  The changes were mostly taking things out since the
Cambridge version did things we didn't need.  The code isn't public as
yet, but that's mostly because I haven't gotten around to uploading it.

As John said it requires a special URL that is only different by
adding '/join/' to an existing portal site URL. If someone is eligible
to join a site they will automatically be added.  In retrospect I
think a better approach would be to have a user preference so that
people could decide up front to either automatically join, or just
visit, sites that they are eligible to join.  It would be a lot more
fluid than having a special URL.  It is more work to implement also.

If someone wants a copy I can provide it.

- Dave

David Haines
CTools Developer
Digital Media Commons