[Building Sakai] How to do tests with samigo without acces to the rest of sakai

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Sat May 2 08:14:39 PDT 2009

Clever students would probably cache course material elsewhere.....although
that may not be a concern......here's some stuff to consider (my apologies
if you already have): there's lots of strategies you can employ depending on
what level of test security you need and how "high stakes" the test is.  If
you really need to block access to the rest of the course you might consider
delivering the test in a testing center, blocking the rest of the course,
and putting the browsers in kiosk mode so the student can't wander elsewhere
on the Web.....hmmmm....but the student could still get into their My
Workspace right?  Seems like Samigo needs something like SecureExam or some
other service which allows for secure testing in an LMS.  Is this available
or is it being developed?

BTW, this is also an interesting conversation framed within the larger
conversation that some tech prognosticators are having about "the future of
the LMS".....at Academix 2009 in SLC David Wiley predicts that the next
iteration of LMS will focus mostly on a gradebook and a secure testing
tool.....David envisions that most everything else will be hosted on the
Web....we have instructors who teach more or less this way too.....still not
sure I buy this wholesale.....but it is an interesting vision.

Luke