[Building Sakai] Sakai & The Higher Ed Opportunity Act of 2008

Robert E. Long, MA relong at vmaile.svsu.edu
Tue Mar 31 08:32:05 PDT 2009

All,

We at Saginaw Valley State University are looking into the technical requirements for the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and wonder what other institutions are doing to ensure that they are fully compliant as it pertains to online and distance education courses?

The following quote:

" The Senate amendment and the House bill require accrediting agencies to require that institutions of higher education offering distance education programs have a process by which the institution of higher education establishes that a student registered for a distance education course is the same student that participates in, completes, and receives credit for the course. "

Are you doing anything special other than the standard username / password for logging in to an online course? If so, could you point me to any software or other tools that you may use for this? Also, any examples would be appreciated.

I am just putting feelers out there and looking for others' thoughts on the online & distance education part of HEOA of 2008.

Thank you,
Bob

---
Robert E. Long, MA