[Building Sakai] Preventing multiple user sessions with the same user account

David C. Minugh David.Minugh at english.su.se
Mon Mar 30 00:32:43 PDT 2009

   There is one case where running multiple user sessions is helpful:
when a teacher wishes to set up a new site, using materials from the
previous semester(s), or pull together material from several other
courses, reusing parts of announcements, etc., but where simple cloning
or copying resources is too clumsy or brings in too much.
   As I understand it, because the Sakai system is based on web pages,
leaving a half-filled page means abandoning it or storing the material
elsewhere (word, notepad, etc.); if you instead open one session in IE
and another in Firefox, you can cut and paste text, shape the course,
all the time navigating in the old site while constructing the new one.
By using two browsers, you don't confuse Sakai about what is happening
in which tab.
   I've found this very helpful as a teacher, and would be sorry to see
it disappear. At the same time, I can understand why you would want to
prevent people from opening X different sessions.
   On the other hand, it may be that there are other ways of doing this
that I happen not to know about, as I'm relatively ignorant about web tools.

Lecturer David C. Minugh                E-mail: David.Minugh at english.su.se
Room E 877	                        Tel: (+46) 8 16 36 11
English Department                      Cell phone: (+46) 70 - 23 14 777
Stockholm University                    Fax: (+46) 8 15 96 67