[Building Sakai] container login, guest accounts and relogins

Yuji Shinozaki ys2n at virginia.edu
Wed Mar 25 08:27:18 PDT 2009

We have container login enabled in our Sakai 2.5.3 implementation.
Most of our users use container login (PubCookie) to authenticate.
There is however a sizable number of Guest accounts (internal sakai
accounts) that use our system.   They typically use the xlogin link
and url to authenticate.

Whenever a guest user clicks a url that requires authentication (e.g.
a bookmarked resources url) they are shunted to the container login
url instead of the xlogin url,  which because of the mechanics of
PubCookie does not give them any recourse.

Ideally we would like to redirect the user to container login if the
PubCookie cookies are available and xlogin if they are not.  But the
compromise would be have all relogins go to xlogin and have a link to
PubCookie login on that page.    But we can't seem to direct all the
relogins to xlogin.

It would seem that login.use.xlogin.to.relogin=true should fix this
problem, but it does not.  Strangely it forces container login for
both login and xlogin urls.

Anyone know the correct configuration or workaround for achieving the
behavior we need or is this a bug?  Or is this a new feature request?

Thanks!
yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki
Sr. Technical Lead/Project Manager
University of Virginia
Advanced Technologies Group
ys2n at virginia.edu
----
"Wealth is the relentless enemy of understanding." -- John Kenneth
Galbraith