[Building Sakai] James configuration

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 24 08:07:14 PDT 2009

We have the exact same problem and spent some time figuring out the
source of this issue.

We simulated various load and usage scenarios but were never able to
reproduce this issue. By reading up on the Apache James email
archives, it's highly recommended to upgrade to the latest version
which is v2.3.1 and Sakai is using v2.1.3.

Our current solution is that one node is handling all the mail. That
node doesn't allow any user connections so that we can restart that
sakai instance as soon as our monitoring script detects the "Maximum
number of open connections ..." problem.

We have some of this documented here:
https://confluence.ucdavis.edu/confluence/x/KYC3

Best,
-- Thomas