[Building Sakai] Sakai load balancing (self fires requests like machne gun).

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Sun Mar 22 01:32:14 PDT 2009

Sounds like you are using a round-robin strategy when you need to be
using a sticky-session strategy for load balancing. Try that and see
if it fixes it.
-AZ

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Ahmed Dini <asdini at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Everybody,
>

> I have finished integrating Apache with tomcat.  I have two instances of
> Tomcat running on my machine and I am trying to load balance the two
> instances using mod_proxy_ajp.
>

> The problem is, if I run one instance of tomcat, everything works fine. But
> when I run the second tomcat and access it through
> http://localhost/ apache's url, the gateway page of Sakai starts flushing as
> if it is firing requesting like a machine gun to apache. I can't click on
> any link because it is flushing so fast.
>
> To see if the problem has something to do with my load balancing, I have
> placed two static index.html files in the Webapp/ROOT directories of both
> tomcat instances, but, it worked fined. it doesn't flush this time, and
> every time I refresh manually it shows the index pages in turns. My guess of
> the problem is that my sakai load balancing settings are not correct, but i
> don't know where i can set them. I could not  find any thing in the
> sakai.properties file. Remeber if I shutdown one of the tomcat instances the
> remaining one works, both will work, it doesn't matter which one I close.
>

> I have tried all versions of tomcat, 5.5.26 and 5.5.27 with both sakai 2.5.4
> and 2.6.0-beta-3.
>

> Please Help.

Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
[http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/]
Sakai Fellow - [http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/]