[Building Sakai] The Switch to Java 1.6

Stephen Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 19 08:28:03 PDT 2009

I'm not sure we need to abandon the Mac as a development platform
because of this Java issue. It's possible that if you have an older
Mac you may not be able to run an *official* Apple release of Java 1.6
as you might only have a 32bit machine.

I bought by Macbook Pro in late 2007 and it is 64 bit, so will run
Java 1.6 fine. In addition, 64-bit Apple machines were being sold back
in 2006 so unless you have a really old machine you will be fine as
well.

In any case, for older machines that are 32 bit (ie pre-2006) there
are ways of getting Java 1.6 on your system.

cheers,
Steve

---
Steve Swinsburg