[Building Sakai] How difficult is to implement event registering for other tools?

Stephen Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 11:53:53 PDT 2009

Hi Luiz,

An event is just a notification that someone did something somewhere.
If you have a tool that you want to register events into the Sakai
Event table, then you just need to inject the EventTrackingService
like this:
private EventTrackingService eventTrackingService;
public void setEventTrackingService(EventTrackingService
eventTrackingService) {
	this.eventTrackingService = eventTrackingService;
}

then have a method in your API/IMPL (lets call it someLogic) that
post's the event:
public void postEvent(String event,String reference,boolean modify) {

eventTrackingService
.post(eventTrackingService.newEvent(event,reference,modify));
}

then in your tool, when appropriate, ie after said event has just
occurred, post the event:

someLogic.postEvent("my.tool.event", "whereverTheEventOccurred", true);

true for modify type events, ie if something was changed, false for
just viewing/accessing something.

cheers,
Steve

---