[Building Sakai] Sakai scalability monitoring and testing

Ray Davis ray at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 11 09:27:23 PDT 2009

We fairly quickly found a bug in the Gradebook Course Grades logic
(since fixed) thanks to JAMon's DB query stats, and were able to verify
improvement in the All Grades logic with straight timing stats. DBCP
connection pool stats pointed out a potentially expensive mistake in the
comments to the components.xml for the old "db" area. We also found ways
to improve our local use of EhCache, but haven't put them in place -- it
turns out that we're currently more bottlenecked on CPU and memory
contention than on DB, and so when we started using Tomcat-resident DB
caching "more effectively," our throughput actually went down. :)

Best,
Ray