[Building Sakai] Implement CourseManagementService ???

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 30 07:08:40 PDT 2009

How do your users get into the system? The course management service
answers several different questions, but roughly speaking they all
involve which users are in which sections. They have to have Sakai
eid's to be listed.

The main difference between using a provider and loading them into the
database is timing. Typically people who put data directly into the
database run periodic cron jobs to do it. E.g. you might get a feed
for administrative data overnight and then add new users and new
course information in a nightly batch job. If you handle user creation
that way it probably makes sense to handle course provisioning via a
batch job as well.

At Rutgers users can create accounts at any time. After creating an
account they are put into LDAP within about 30 min. We get our user
data from LDAP. So we see new users fairly quickly. By using a course
management provider, as soon a new user shows up, they are in their
courses. If we did a nightly batch feed, new users wouldn't get their
courses until the next day.

However the course data that our provider has access to is fed
nightly. So we only get half the benefits of a real-time process. New
users get into the system immediately, but the course list they see is
from the last nightly batch run. We're working on that.

Of course there's nothing to stop you from writing a provisioning
process that runs continuously and keeps the database up to date in
real time.

In our case there's another advantage to using a provider: The group
that maintains Sakai is separate from the groups that work on course
and people data. Our providers talk to existing services whose APIs
are reasonably well defined. So we can do development work without
requiring much work on the other side. Doing a data feed would require
a bit more coordination of three different groups. The question isn't
a lack of cooperation, but reducing complexity. We're not the only
people who need to use administrative data. Having a defined API that
everyone can use to access is a better design.