[Building Sakai] problems with mysql 4.1

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 16 12:14:46 PDT 2009

A couple of us have recently set up Sakai on Macs for development. We
duplicated our current production configuration, which uses the latest
Mysql 4.1

Startup hangs,

org.springframework.dao.CannotAcquireLockException: Hibernate
operation: could \
not insert:
[org.sakaiproject.component.app.messageforums.dao.hibernate.Permiss\
ionLevelImpl]; SQL [insert into MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T (VERSION, UUID,
CREATED,\
  CREATED_BY, MODIFIED, MODIFIED_BY, NAME, TYPE_UUID, CHANGE_SETTINGS,
DELETE_AN\
Y, DELETE_OWN, MARK_AS_READ, MOVE_POSTING, NEW_FORUM, NEW_RESPONSE,
NEW_RESPONS\
E_TO_RESPONSE, NEW_TOPIC, POST_TO_GRADEBOOK, X_READ, REVISE_ANY,
REVISE_OWN, MO\
DERATE_POSTINGS) values
(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, \
?, ?, ?, ?)]; Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction;
nested ex\
ception is java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try
restarting tr\
ansaction

and

009-06-15 11:29:31,177  WARN main
org.sakaiproject.db.impl.BasicSqlService - S\
ql.dbWrite(): error code: 1205 sql: insert into CONTENT_RESOURCE
(RESOURCE_ID,I\
N_COLLECTION
,CONTEXT,FILE_SIZE,RESOURCE_TYPE_ID,FILE_PATH,BINARY_ENTITY, XML) v\
alues ( ?,  ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ? , NULL ) binds:  /group/PortfolioAdmin/
system/form\
Create.xslt /group/PortfolioAdmin/system/ PortfolioAdmin 0 null /
2009/166/15/37\
ea542c-2e07-426e-9fbf-ea604cdf31cd [B at 80932d
java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting
transaction
         at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2975)

The latter is fatal.

It works fine in Mysql 5.0.

It's not a big deal, as we can use Mysql 5.0 on our development
systems, but it is worrisome. I assume the problem is occurring during
initial table setup, and that things are OK on our production servers
because they already have the tables. Clearly we're going to try to
upgrade our database sometime this summer.