[Building Sakai] About schedule tool - Calendar subscriptions problem in sakai 2.6

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Mon Jun 15 01:36:57 PDT 2009

Hello Kim and all,
Thank you for jumping into this question while I was out of office. External
calendar subscriptions work in Sakai, but it still has some limitations
like:

   - doesn't support full event days;
   - doesn't support events not defined with <VEVENT>;
   - doesn't support re-occurring events;
   - doesn't support events without end time

As Beth said, this is what makes it an "experimental" feature. Most of these
issues are a limitation of the library used (ical4j) and the ical import
feature from the Schedule tool (same code is used for parsing).

For "Institutional" calendar feeds, it is recommended to properly test them
against these kind of issues before putting them in production!

Thank you for your help,
Nuno

2009/6/11 Kimberly Ma <this4it at gmail.com>

> Thanks for Matthew's reply and everyone's help, right now I can
> import(subscribe) the events from google calendar successfully.
>
> What I did was this morning was I modified my google calendar shared
> settings.  Before ,I checked the option for share only my free/busy
> information. So the events was all marked as VFREEBUSY, make sense?! (please
> see the attachment. ) After I unchecked this option, I have no problem to
> see the google calendar events from sakai schedule page, tada!
>
> However, as an application developer, I would like to know how Matthew or
> other developers debug this kind of problem.
>
> Thanks, I will comment what I found on jira SAK-16535.
>
> To the best,
>
> -Kim
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Matthew Jones <jonespm at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> The last time I tried this import it does work, and I also tried it
>> right now and it also works. There's still quite a few limitations of
>> the calendar and what it can import. I looked at the data for your
>> calendar and all of the events in yours are listed as VFREEBUSY events
>> where the calendar only parses VEVENT events. I'm not sure how this
>> calendar was defined or why it's importing it like that, but a few
>> calendars I tested with are working.
>>
>> It does have the issue that Beth mentioned about reoccurring events,
>> it also will not pick up untimed events(that go over multiple days or
>> an entire day) (SAK-9928/SAK-13490).
>>
>> I was also wary of the possibility of huge files causing a denial of
>> service or overloading the app server since this doesn't seem to be
>> checked yet. It does check to see if the file isn't a property
>> formatted calendar file from the start (audio stream), but if someone
>> created an huge properly formatted calendar and imported it, the
>> import would take it as it currently has no limitations. I tried it on
>> a calendar containing 100,000 entries and it took around 5 minutes to
>> import and the increase in memory (since it caches this data) was
>> around 70 megabytes. I didn't try it on a million entries but I'm
>> guessing it would be linear. For the good news paging through the
>> 100,000 entries was surprisingly fast after they were all loaded.
>>
>> Might be worth considering if you were enabling this and getting in a
>> fix to limit the import size.
>>
>> -Matthew
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Kimberly Ma<this4it at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > Have you tried the calendar subscriptions under schedule tool (sakai
>> 2.6.x)
>> > recently ? Ours in Rutgers sites doesn't work. No any single event from
>> > subscribed calendar (such as google calendar, etc) shows on sakai
>> schedule
>> > page.
>> > A few days ago, I sent an email about this problem to Nuno, ( from
>> searching
>> > in Jira, I found that he had done some development work on this area.)
> [...]

Nuno Fernandes  [www.linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo]
Software Developer - UFP-UV  [Universidade Virtual]
Software Developer - Sakai Foundation  [sakaiproject.org]
Sakai Fellow 2008 - Sakai Foundation  [
confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/FIF9AQ]

Universidade Fernando Pessoa  [www.ufp.pt]
Praça 9 de Abril, 349
4249-004 Porto
tel: + 351 22 507 13 00