[Building Sakai] Understanding Sakai tool source ?

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Sun Jun 14 12:08:17 PDT 2009

Beans defined in components.xml are visible in the sakai component
manager and thus are accessible by all other parts of the sakai
application. Beans defined in your applicationContext are only visible
and accessible in your webapp. The main reason for putting beans into
the components.xml is to make them accessible to others or to the
framework (e.g. hibernate DAOs). Otherwise you should keep the bean
definitions in your webapp (i.e. applicationContext.xml).

Hope that helps
-AZ

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Phuc Bui<phucbui2006 at yahoo.com.vn> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> When should we define bean in components.xml and when in
> applicationContext.xml.
>
> As I knew, Spring will automatically load beans in applicationContext.xml,
> but we can define other configuration files instead of
> applicationContext.xml and beans defined in these files are treated as in a
> file.
>
> So why do not we define beans in applicationContext.xml instead of
> components.xml ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phuc Bui

Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
https://twitter.com/azeckoski - http://www.linkedin.com/in/azeckoski
http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/ -
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/