[Building Sakai] About schedule tool - Calendar subscriptions problem in sakai 2.6

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Jun 10 12:33:33 PDT 2009

The last time I tried this import it does work, and I also tried it
right now and it also works. There's still quite a few limitations of
the calendar and what it can import. I looked at the data for your
calendar and all of the events in yours are listed as VFREEBUSY events
where the calendar only parses VEVENT events. I'm not sure how this
calendar was defined or why it's importing it like that, but a few
calendars I tested with are working.

It does have the issue that Beth mentioned about reoccurring events,
it also will not pick up untimed events(that go over multiple days or
an entire day) (SAK-9928/SAK-13490).

I was also wary of the possibility of huge files causing a denial of
service or overloading the app server since this doesn't seem to be
checked yet. It does check to see if the file isn't a property
formatted calendar file from the start (audio stream), but if someone
created an huge properly formatted calendar and imported it, the
import would take it as it currently has no limitations. I tried it on
a calendar containing 100,000 entries and it took around 5 minutes to
import and the increase in memory (since it caches this data) was
around 70 megabytes. I didn't try it on a million entries but I'm
guessing it would be linear. For the good news paging through the
100,000 entries was surprisingly fast after they were all loaded.

Might be worth considering if you were enabling this and getting in a
fix to limit the import size.

-Matthew