[Building Sakai] K1 - uitils rationalization?

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 8 07:58:45 PDT 2009

Hi Chuck

I'm certainly not suggesting that we remove methods from the API, I'm
merely suggesting we mark them as deprecated in the case outlined. The
motivation is to reduce the code that the kernel team has to manage to
what is important to Sakai. I agree we need to make things easier for
contrib developers I suggest we do this by not changing the API's and
steering them to standard java libraries rather the sui generis  Sakai
methods. As I noted in the thread earlier I believe where there is a
good reason for having our own method this should be clearly noted in
the Javadoc too ("unlike commons-foo this method...."). I see this as a
case for minimal effort (reviewing the content of utils, adding
@deprecated and some explanatory doc) we can get increasing benefit
during the life of the 2.x

Regards

David