[Building Sakai] jQuery 1.1.4 > 1.3.2 Upgrade for 2.7?

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Jul 17 13:04:01 PDT 2009

I don't think we should be shipping bundles with external URL
dependencies baked in. Using the Google URLs works great in hosted
apps, but I'm concerned about ripples once we zip it up. It may be
possible to ship a copy and offer a switch for implementors, though,
as an emergency valve if the URLs stop working.

Specific to the upgrade, the biggest thing I've noticed (through
1.1.2, 1.2.1, 1.3.2) is the removal of the @-symbol in attribute
selectors. Everything else seems pretty backward-compatible for me.
The attribute selectors can cause a good bit of headache, though,
since they're somewhat difficult to grep for. We would need some
dedicated testing and resolution effort.

I am definitely in favor of the upgrade. The synergy with jQuery UI
and Fluid is strong and valuable in a number of ways, not to mention
the performance, documentation, and flexibility gains of using a more
recent version.

Thanks,
-Noah