[Building Sakai] Dynamic Page Localization

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Thu Jul 9 02:19:27 PDT 2009

That seems good to me - in fact, the proposed (shortened) admin titles are
the ones currently in use on the already released Sakai tags, right?
+1 (UFP)

Nuno

2009/7/8 Beth Kirschner <bkirschn at umich.edu>

> I have a fix to a long-standing internationalization issue,
> localization (translation) of page titles, but there is a small catch
> that I'd like an opinion and vote on. The current solution for
> localizing page titles involves using the localized tool title as the
> page title, with a few exceptions (i.e. iframe & news are excluded,
> and pages with more than one tool are excluded). This works very well
> for most site pages, but it also highlights some differences between
> administration page and tool titles. When localized, the admin page
> titles become very wordy. I'd like to propose shortening the default
> admin tool titles to match the *existing* default admin page titles as
> follows (primarily removing redundant language):
>
> Admin: User Editor -> Users
> Admin: Alias Editor -> Aliases
> Admin: Sites Editor -> Sites
> Admin: Realms Editor -> Realms
> Admin: On-Line -> Online
> Admin: Memory/Cache Tool -> Memory
> Admin: Archive Tool -> Site Archive
> Job Scheduler Based on Quartz -> Job Scheduler
> Admin: Become User -> Become User
>
> Of course, these are just the defaults, and they can always be further
> changed/localized at any local institution by modifying properties
> files in the usual way.
>
> Thoughts?
> - Beth

Nuno Fernandes  [www.linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo]
Software Developer - UFP-UV  [Universidade Virtual]
Software Developer - Sakai Foundation  [sakaiproject.org]
Sakai Fellow 2008 - Sakai Foundation  [
confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/FIF9AQ]

Universidade Fernando Pessoa  [www.ufp.pt]
Praça 9 de Abril, 349
4249-004 Porto
tel: + 351 22 507 13 00