[Building Sakai] Sakai3/K2 Bootcamp Tuesday 13:30 - 17:30 in Haymi Saloman

Ian Boston ian at caret.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 5 08:07:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

For those of you who will be at the pre conference on Tuesday there is
a Sakai3/K2 Bootcamp/Workshop. Although this has been billed as a K2
workshop, we cant develop anything without demand from UX/UI teams, so
this will really be a Sakai3/K2 Workshop.

If you have ability in the UX/UI area and were thinking this was not
for you, then think again, you need to be there. After an short
introduction the workshop will to split into two teams. A UX/UI team
and a back end team. We hope to be able develop one or two areas UX,
implement the UI and provide build the back end data feeds or even
server side code to generate this UI. As you hopefully can see,
without UX/UI ability in the room, the back end developers are not
going to have very much meaningful work to do. So come along and tell
them what to do.

If you have ability in developing back end functionality this is
hopefully going to be a stress free and relaxing workshop for you. You
need no special tools and for most of the basic work a low end laptop
will do. If you have worked on previous versions of Sakai, then you
will already have ample hardware.

I will be burning some CD's before the workshop with most of the
necessary bits, so dont worry about downloading things. If you cant
wait and want to have a play in advance, try going thought the steps
in [1], and have a look at [2] from "Create Some Content" onwards.
(Remember Sakai K2 is Apache Sling) If you think you really want to
get into the guts of the Java code, then having a look at [3], but it
wont be necessary for most of the workshop.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Ian Boston

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/200+Running+Sakai+K2
[2] http://sling.apache.org/site/discover-sling-in-15-minutes.html