[Building Sakai] KNL-257 (Basic Auth) merging to 2.6.x (Kernel 1.0.x)

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Dec 9 05:45:51 PST 2009

I agree with this - I think code cleanup fixes should not in general get merged to maintenance branches, unless they end up being dependencies for other merges that are for actual bugfixes.

I'm also curious to find out how many other 2-6-x sites are running custom local kernels?

Regards
Stephen

>>> Matthew Buckett <matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk> 2009/12/09 03:40 PM >>>
Some of the basic auth (base64 related) tickets in the kernel look
like they might be merged to 2.6.x (Kernel 1.0.x):

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-270
Subtasked into:
  http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-257
  http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-271
  http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-272

While I think it's a good thing that this issue has been addressed I
wouldn't class it as a bug and don't see that it need to be merged
into the 1.0.x kernel.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that we have some patches to the
kernel and so maintain our own local version of it and the more
patches that are pushed back to the 1.0.x branch the more stuff we
have to merge.

Our longterm aim is not to have a custom local kernel but sadly we're
not there yet.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services