[Building Sakai] Mail Config for Windows

Zach A. Thomas zach at aeroplanesoftware.com
Thu Aug 20 08:13:42 PDT 2009

Hi, everyone. I don't venture into Windows world very often, but I'm
trying to configure a Windows Server 2003 machine with Sakai and I'm
hitting a snag with inbound email. Whenever a message comes in, I'm
getting the same error in the James log that is described here
("reached the end of this processor, and is automatically deleted.
This may indicate a configuration error"):

http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-1449

My issue is a little different because outbound email (e.g.
notifications) works fine (using MailEnable). But no messages are
getting in. I do have James running on port 25.

In general, do Windows deployments operate a separate mailer on port
25 and forward to James on another port? I have done this with
iptables and postfix, but I have no idea how to do this on Windows. I
played around with NAT, but the firewall/NAT console wouldn't let me
edit the entry for port 25 or add a new one.

Thanks in advance to any of you Windows gurus out there. I'm getting
my comeuppance for all those mean things I said about Microsoft!

cheers,
Zach Thomas
Owner, Aeroplane Software LLC