[Building Sakai] A Goal Management 2.6.x heads up

Robert Long relong at svsu.edu
Thu Aug 20 06:17:43 PDT 2009

All,

During our upgrade to Sakai 2.6.0 yesterday, we came across a couple
of strange NPEs when adding goal management to assignments and when
using Datapoint. The NPE had to do with
org.sakaiproject.gmt.tagging.impl.GmtTaggingProviderImpl

It took us a while to figure out the problem, but we did find it. It
has to do with a hard-coded dependency on the OSP Matrix tool
(osp.matrix) on line 111:

ToolConfiguration toolConfig = site.getToolForCommonId("osp.matrix");

Our temporary solution to this problem, and so that we could go
forward with our upgrade was to change "osp.matrix" to
"sakai.siteinfo" since all of our sites are required to have the Site
Info tool and none of them use the OSP Matrix tool.

ToolConfiguration toolConfig =
site.getToolForCommonId("sakai.siteinfo");

I am not sure why it was hard coded to osp.matrix, but there has to be
a better, more permanent solution. Or is having it set to a more used
tool, like sakai.siteinfo, OK?

Just wanted to bring this to anyone's attention who may be looking to
upgrade to 2.6.x and use the GMT and Datapoint tools. We are using the
2.6.x branch of GMT and trunk version of Datapoint.

Thank you,
Bob

Robert Long, MA
Open Source Programmer / Analyst