[Building Sakai] MySQL UserID/PW Specification in sakai.properties

Tony Harris harrist at ccv.vsc.edu
Thu Aug 6 10:52:31 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I think after much wrangling I have finally gotten Sakai 2.6.x to build on
my development server.  Had to blow away the tomcat I'd downloaded,
uninstall any tomcat stuff that had come on the server install itself,
clear the Maven repository, and grab a fresh copy of the source.  And then
remember to do all the setup pieces over again that that eliminated.
Always built clean, but would either hang in the testing phase of the maven
run, or would come up, but throw Java errors.  Finally past that.

However, I had one oddity that cropped up in the last 2-3 builds.  I have
the username@ and password@ specs for the MySQL database (both for
javax.sql.DataSource and javax.sql.BaseDataSource because one set of docs
referred to one, one to the other).  And that seemed fine, appeared based
on the messages in catalina.out to be connecting.  But all of a sudden,
without my changing a properties file, I started getting errors saying
access was denied for "sa at localhost".  I rechecked the sakai.properties
file, rechecked the docs on environment setup and MySQL setup to see if I
missed something, and cannot see what else I need to add or change.  But it
absolutely refused to finish startup.  Finally, since this is a development
box, I went ahead and added an ID of "sa" with all rights to the Sakai
database when coming in from localhost, and poof! everything started up
fine.

Can someone point me ideally at one nice handy document that spells out all
the places I need to modify to use MySQL and all the parameters, and maybe
give me some idea where it might be getting "sa at localhost" as a database
login ID since I can't even find that in a properties file?

Thanks!

--
Tony Harris
Assistant CTO
harrist at ccv.edu
(802) 828-2800

Dwirze ski, evarre kolex.
(One by one droplets, eventually an ocean.)
PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated
recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise
private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email
received in error is prohibited.