[Building Sakai] Ask Sakai: Sakai 2.6 will not run as windows service

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Aug 6 09:35:24 PDT 2009

Well, it seems that there's *some* problem with axis2. This was added to 2.6
for webservice developers. (http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13392)
Though unless you're using certain contrib tools I don't think that you'll
use it for anything, at least not immediately. Could you try to remove that
war file from the webapp and see if you get any further? It loads up fine
for me but might have some type of conflict.

Just delete (or move) webapps/sakai-axis2.war from the tomcat directory and
startup. You shouldn't need to delete the uncompressed directory, though
might want to do that too. Then we can see what's up afterward.

My log without axis2:
2009-08-06 12:21:33,308  INFO Thread-1 org.sakaiproject.util.ToolListener -
registering tools from resource: /tools/sakai.permissions.helper.xml
2009-08-06 12:21:33,746  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive
sakai-axis.war
2009-08-06 12:21:34,027  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive
sakai-blogger-tool.war
2009-08-06 12:21:36,121  INFO Thread-1 org.sakaiproject.util.ToolListener -
registering tools from resource: /tools/blogger.xml

My log snippet around that same area with axis2:
2009-08-06 11:05:00,951  INFO Thread-1 org.sakaiproject.util.ToolListener -
registering tools from resource: /tools/sakai.permissions.helper.xml
2009-08-06 11:05:01,419  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive
sakai-axis.war
2009-08-06 11:05:01,997  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive
sakai-axis2.war
2009-08-06 11:05:03,435  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentEngine - No modules directory was
found under
C:\inetpub\tomcat\apache-tomcat-5.5.26\webapps\sakai-axis2\WEB-INF.
2009-08-06 11:05:03,997  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ModuleDeployer - Deploying module:
addressing-1.4 -
file:/C:/inetpub/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/sakai-axis2/WEB-INF/lib/axis2-1.4.jar
2009-08-06 11:05:04,294  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceDeployer - Deploying Web service:
MyService -
file:/C:/inetpub/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/sakai-axis2/WEB-INF/services/MyService/
2009-08-06 11:05:04,341  INFO Thread-1
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Deploying web application archive
sakai-blogger-tool.war
2009-08-06 11:05:07,278  INFO Thread-1 org.sakaiproject.util.ToolListener -
registering tools from resource: /tools/blogger.xml

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Patrick Bean<pbean at turningtechnologies.com>
wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Here is my full log.
>
> For my install of 2.6,  I cleared out the original Sakai folder and
database.  Then reinstalled everything into the same folder.  This way it
would be a completely new server but would not have to chance the
environmental variables.

> Thanks again for your assistance.
>
> Patrick

Jones
> Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:12 PM
> To: Patrick Bean
> Cc: sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org Dev
> Subject: Re: [Building Sakai] Ask Sakai: Sakai 2.6 will not run as windows
service

> Could you put your whole log up onto cl1p.net, pastie.org or attach
> it? I don't know what else to suggest without that since you had luck
> with prior versions. Nothing has changed that should have caused you a
> problem.
>
> For 2.6 would have to deploy to a different (or cleaned) directory and
> make sure that it's not looking in the old classpath for older
> versions of jars. It's possible that the service is still pulling some
> pieces out of a different directory or theres some missing jars? Can't
> tell from the log snippet.
>
> -Matthew
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Patrick
> Bean<pbean at turningtechnologies.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Just wanted to clarify a few things.  I am running this on Windows 2003
32-Bit.

>> Also I did have 2.5.4 running as a service but after the new install of
2.6 it will not.  Was there any change in the windows environment variables
between 2.5.4 and 2.6?   Same version of tomcat for both.

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Section+-+Tomcat+Installation+(2.6)

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Setting+up+Confluence+with+IIS

>> -Matthew

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)