[Building Sakai] Getting root EntityBroker errors/exceptions

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Apr 29 08:05:26 PDT 2009

You can turn on emailing of errors using
"direct.error.email=blah at something.com" in sakai.properties but this
is not what you want.

The original exception from getUserMemberships is attached to this
exception but not printed out by default. I could probably add in an
option to print more information if you want but this one looks fairly
clear. There are a few exceptions I handle explicitly and all the rest
just pass through. These ones are handled because they can be thrown
from the provider to indicate certain conditions as per the javadoc:
SecurityException - operation not allowed - becomes 401/403
EntityNotFoundException - not found - becomes 404
FormatUnsupportedException - invalid type requested - becomes 406
IllegalArgumentException (this one) - request does not have valid
argument - becomes 400
UnsupportedOperationException - attempted to perform invalid operation
- becomes 400

I would recommend getting out the debugger in this case anyway, but if
that is not enough then I can probably add an option to handle the
error more explicitly.
-AZ

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Steven Githens <swgithen at mtu.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is on Sakai trunk.  I wonder if I'm missing a logging level or
> configuration property, but how do we turn on output for the original
> exception errors in the logs for EntityBroker feeds.  It makes sense
> that we don't want it to show up in the browser, but right now in the
> logs it just gives the exception message with no line number or stack trace:
>
> Ex:
> WARN Could not process entity: /assignment2 (400)[null]: Cannot execute
> custom action (sitelist): Illegal arguments: Null userId or contextId
> passed to getUserMemberships (rethrown)
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
[http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/]
Sakai Fellow - [http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/]