[Building Sakai] update required Maven version

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Mon Apr 20 10:34:24 PDT 2009

I'm not voting for or against maven 2.0.9 or 2.1.0 or whatever. It
sounds like it would be good to move to a more recent stable release
of maven.

The problem in the past has been that developers start moving to newer
versions of maven and the build breaks for some people in strange ways
that are not easily traced back to the version of maven being used.

Changes in maven versions should be infrequent and coordinated across
the developer community. They should not occur helter-skelter because
someone introduces pom syntax that is not supported by a version of
maven that we have agreed to support. That suggests that we should
have one and only one version of maven that is required to be used
whenever verifying a change in a pom, and all developers should be
encouraged to use that version (or later).

This problem is likely to occur again unless we agree on a stable
version and developers all use that version when verifying changes in
pom's (regardless of what is recommended in the documentation for
people building from source to deploy sakai).

So +1 on a coordinated effort to decide on a standard version of
maven!  And +1 on continuing to back out changes to pom's that break
the build for people using the current standard version of maven we
agree to as a community.

Jim